Sunday, April 26, 2009

Top 5 Babysitter Worthy Movies of the summer

I am a true movie buff and having a child has not stopped me from going to the movies, I just go to fewer of them. Let's face it, it's not just the price of the movies/popcorn that you have to shell out for but now I have to really consider if a movie is worth the extra $45 for a babysitter. 

That said, here are my top 5 summer movies, I would shell out $$$ for a babysitter.

1. X-Man Origins: Wolverine (May 1) - Great cast (Liev Shrieber, Ryan Reynolds, Dominic Monaghan- glad to see DM got a job after being killed off on Lost),  provides the back story on one of the favorite X-Men characters and a half naked, truly buff Hugh Jackman. Enough said.

2. Star Trek (May 8) - At first, I wasn't thrilled they were going to resuscitate this franchise even after  I heard J.J.  Abrams  (Lost/Alias)  signed on to direct but when I saw the trailer, I got chills and I was really excited.  And now the buzz coming out of  the London premiere is that the movie is a winner. Side note on casting; Matt Damon turned down the role of James T. Kirk. After looking at the trailer, I can't see Damon as Kirk. Once this movie launches, Chris Pine will be a star and so will the remainder of the cast. 

3. Terminator Salvation (May 21)  - Christian Bale as John Connor. 3 words - The Dark Knight. 

4. Harry Potter and the Half- Blood Prince  (July 15) - This movie has been ready for months. I am still annoyed that Warner Bros. pushed back the 2008 release of this movie so they would have 2009 summer blockbuster. (What does this say about the movie business model?  broken). I am actually upset for the simple fact that if Potter had opened last year,  Twilight would have  opened #2 and not have become the juggernaut 3 picture sequel it has become and of course, Robert Patinson would not be plastered all over the tabloids. 


5. Julie and Julia - Starring Meryl Streep as the original celebrity chef  Julia Child and Amy Adams as writer Amy Powell. The movie is based on Ms. Powell's book of the same name whereby she cooks up 524 recipes from Child's quintessential  French cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am skeptical until I see some reviews. 

Possibly babysitter worthy:
6. Angels and Demons (May 15)-  Based on Dan Brown's novel before the smash book, The DaVinci Code. I wasn't all that impressed with the DaVinci Code so I will pass unless it gets great reviews. 

7. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (June 24).  This is the sequel to 2007 hit. This won't get great reviews because it's a Michael Bay movie and he pretty much likes to blow things up. But come June, it's too hot to think and I just like movies that entertain me and don't care if the plot makes sense.

Sadly, no independent, smaller movies looked interesting. I am hoping I missed something. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the Julie and Julia book so I am interested if the movie will be half as good.

NYC Single Mom said...

I heard it was a good book. I am going to the library to see if I can check it out before the movie.

Post a Comment