Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Summer is Officially Over - Seriousness Begins: My Fall List


Summer is over and I am somewhat happy about it. Shocking, right. Yes, there are a gazillion things to miss, the weather, the beach, out of town trips, the park, meeting up with old classmates, but I am ready for fall.

Fall always signals a new season and new beginnings. There is a certain seriousness to the fall. New TV Season, no more action pictures but movies with a serious tone, my job search (super serious.)

For me, it means getting off the park bench and doing more cultural activities. Don't get me wrong, I looked on with envy for years at parents sitting on the bench reading their newspapers while their independent children played in the park and was soo happy that I finally had made it to the bench so I could leisurely reading a magazine or make phone calls but it made me lazy. Going to the park is the easy activity to do, no thinking involved.

So for the fall, I have vowed to get off my butt and to do one cultural activity a month. Here is my fall list.

1. Studio Museum of Harlem - shamed to admit it but I have never been.

2. The Nutcracker - I love the ballet especially the Nutcracker. The story and music are timeless. Since my daughter takes ballet, it's a great introduction to the ballet.

3. See a play - Not sure which one yet. So many choices. I am actually trying to find a non-Broadway show. Given the economy, I think the lesser known shows need all the support they can get and frankly, there cheaper.

4. Whitney Museum - The Georgia O'Keefe exhibit just began and I love Georgia O'Keefe. She was an amazing artist with an interesting background. So far, my daughter knows and can identify Matisse, Degas, Picasso, Van Gogh, Klimt. It's about time, she was introduced to a woman artist.

5. "Tea" at Alice's Tea Cup . Take my daughter to "tea" has been on my list of things to do with her since she was born. I love going to tea. Who wouldn't? The British have given us something we Americans should embrace: scones, jam and clotted cream and cucumber sandwiches. Yummm!!! Alice's Tea Cup is a good introduction before we hit the big time, "Madeline Tea" at the Carlyle Hotel.

What is your plan for the fall?? Love to hear some new ideas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment