Friday, February 26, 2010

Fantastic Four Friday - Ways to De-stress

Living in New York City as you can imagine  can be  pretty stressful. But other than drinking myself into a stupor or taking drugs (so kidding!!), I have come up with four free ways to de- stress and have fun at the same time.

  1. Read a Magazine - Head to the bookstore, drugstore or supermarket and read a magazine you ordinarily don't read or used to read. For me and I am not proud, I like to read People magazine. It's a quick read and who doesn't want to see the latest celebrity photos and stories. 
  2. Tense Your Body - Huh!!! My next door neighbor who is now off in India on a yoga retreat taught me this one. Literally lay down and tense your entire body for a couple of minutes and then relax your body.  Do this several times, it really gets all the stress out of your body. This activity can be done in the morning right before you get up or right before bed. Seriously, it works and trust me I have a lot of stress points.
  3. 5 Minute Yoga - So you don't have time to take a class to get the benefits of yoga. If all you do is one sun salutation, that should be enough to de- stress you. Once in the morning and once in the evening. I like to do in the middle of the afternoon just to break up the day. 
  4. Stand in the shower for  an extra 5 minutes - I mean it,  just stand there and do nothing.  Just let the water roll over your body. Mind you, you have time this correctly so that  your kids aren't barging in and asking for stuff. 
Would love to hear what you do to de-stress after a tough day?

1 comments:

Nicole said...

When my daughter is sleeping, I pretty much live in the shower. It's like my own little island. As much as I love New York, it can be a bit overwhelming. I spend so much time on the move. I'm really trying to teach myself to be still.

Post a Comment