Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Read Across America - A Chance to Get Past the Classroom Door


Today, my daughter's school participated in Read Across America, which is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, Dr. Seuss's birthday.

Parents are invited to come to their child's classroom and read with them.  I like this idea for so many reasons.  It reinforces the importance of reading, you get to spend time with your child in their environment, you get to interact with the parents, if only for a few minutes and you are allowed past the classroom door so you can spy on what's happening in the classroom. I noticed Literacy on the today's calendar (what the heck is literacy??) and now I have to find out at the Parent-Teacher conference. 

My daughter was thrilled to have me come to the class, let's all say a collective aah!. She chose several books to read to me. Quel difference from kindergarten where I read to her. 


Read Across America Poem
You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, 
To pick up a book and read with a child, 
You're never too busy, too cool, or too hot,
To pick up a book and share what you've got.

In schools and communities,
Let's gather around, 
Let's pick up a book,
Let's pass it around.

There are kids all around you, 
Kids who will need
Someone to hug,
Someone to read.


0 comments:

Post a Comment