Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring Break - The Good, the Bad and the Funny

On the way to Cold Spring

This year, Spring Break for New York Public Schools totaled a whopping 11 days including weekends. That is two more days than last year. No one knows why, I can only guess it has to do with the evil Randi Weingarten (the former head of the NY teachers union now the President of the United Federation of Teachers) negociating with the DOE to give the teachers an extra two days.

For the record, I like spending time with my daughter but 11 days is a damn long time to be with your only child.

No matter, here is the good, the bad and the funny of the 2010 Spring Break.

The Good

  • Morning Rush is a non-issue. My daughter sleeps in, I get to read the paper and enjoy my coffee in peace and no fighting ensues as to we try to get to school on time. 
  • No Afternoon pick up - Dropping off, picking up, oh my. There is no fun in that daily grind. 
  • Laidback and relaxed days - Since we are not in a hurry to get anywhere, we can take our time getting to playdates, the gym, the supermarket or whatever. 
  • Time Away from NYC - While I wasn't able to go away for the entire week, we were able to go away for an incredible weekend retreat to Cold Spring, NY (look for post/pictures later this week.) 
  • No Homework - Good for child, good for mommy although she has to read for twenty minutes everyday.
The Bad 
  • Coordinating playdates - You need a personal assistant to manage whose coming and whose going to ensure your kid is busy for the break. I try to arrange playdates with kids we don't go to school with so that is added pressure to get all those dates in. 
  • Keeping your child busy for 11 days - Enuf said. This is doubly tough if you have an only child like I do, there is no one for them to play with and occupy their time. 
The Funny - Here are funny quotes from my daughter 
  • "Sharing is Caring" said on a playdate with twin siblings. 
  • "It's like Soccer but kicking a can" said after finding a soda can and then kicking it down the street
  • "Newspapers are so last year," said to me after I said I needed to go back home and get the paper so I had something to do at the park 
  • "I always get my best ideas when I am walking" said on our many walks during the week. 
I must admit with one day to go, we have had a good week and half together. 

2 comments:

GayNYCDad said...

Kids really do say the darndest things! Sometimes its hard not to laugh when you are trying to scold them and they get so creative in their defensive responses.

Unknown said...

This post about the pros and cons of Spring Break...you are me! :)

Post a Comment