Saturday, April 4, 2009

Apartment Therapy - The Interview

Step one of the Apartment Therapy cure is to answer a 30 minute questionnaire so you can begin repairing your body; bones = repairs, breath = rearrangement, heart = redecorate and head (move your space around). 

How you answer the questions also seems to tell a lot about your personality and style. 

  • Answering too quickly = quick decision maker (you need to be directed)
  • Answering too slowly = extremely careful decision maker (you need to be pushed)
  • Leaving blanks = no sense of style (need to imitate)
  • Too many answers = want to fit in, have trouble with clutter (need to edit)
  • Answers are eclectic = style may not be focused or you may be conflicted about how you want to be perceived ( need to be clarified)
  • Difficulty naming a designer or clothing = more analytic and less visually oriented (need to look a lot of pictures to improve visual knowledge)
The Apartment Therapy Questionnaire: 
Favorites:
List a favorite in each category:
Actress: Helen Mirren, Sarah Michelle Geller (Buffy years), Angelina Jolie
Actor: Paul Newman, Hugh Grant (i know), Daniel Craig
Artist: Claude Monet (only because water lilies at the MOMA have a special place in my heart and brings me peace of mind)
Writer: JK Rowling (this is all I can think because I never read anymore)
Music: New Order, Pearl Jam, Club music
Restaurant: The Modern
Automobile: Hunter Green Jaguar
Television Show: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Veronica Mars
Clothing (designer or store): H&M, Uniqlo, Ann Taylor

How would you describe your style:
1. Casual
2. Consistent
3. Lacking color

Personal History:

Where have you lived?
Where were you born? Tokyo
Where you grew up? Japan, California, Maryland, Ohio, Virginia
As a adult:  New York City, Arizona, Virginia, France, Japan, Italy

Whom would you consider a role model? My father and mother

What three adjectives describe the qualities that you admire in a person.
1. Loyalty
2. Committment
3. Truthful 

Apartment
What is the problem with your apartment? (3 words)
Cluttered, dull, colorless

If your apartment could speak, what would it say is the problem. 
Why do I have all this stuff? This place is dreary and is really boring. Where is the color? Why are the walls so bare. Where is the character?

What one thing would lyou like to do or do more of in your apartment?
Entertain 


Eight weeks from now, when this project is done, if friends came to visit, how would you like them to describe your home?
1. Colorful
2. Warm
3. Fun 

Looking at the guide for how one answers the question.

I am quick decision maker because I answered the questionnaire in 15 minutes. I gave a lot of different answers and eclectic ones at that so I need to be guided and edited. Finally,  I don't have a sense of style.  

I would agree with this assessment, especially the sense of style or lack thereof. Most people can say they like modern or French provincial but I could not tell you what style I want. 

Aspiration is clear since I do want to get my house in order so I can move forward in my life. Defining my style needs help (lots of help). 



2 comments:

ss said...

Ok, when's the party.. I wanna make the A list.

NYC Single Mom said...

dont worry you will be invited

Post a Comment