Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Kindergarten Test Prep - Damn Right I would Do It


This past weekend, there was an article in the New York Times about Prep Schools for helping kids  get into the public Gifted and Talented Elementary schools in the city. Crazy, right? Yes and No.

As someone who did indeed prep her daughter (to no avail, I might add), I would have gladly signed her up, if they were available. And not for the reason you might think. Frankly, with the exception of NEST, every gifted and talented school is completely out of the way from where we live. The idea of shlepping her to any of those  out of the way schools nor putting her on a bus at 5 years old was not an appealing idea especially since our zoned public school is great.

The reason for paying for the prep classes is that I am a terrible teacher/tutor and it would have at the minimum helped her understand the concepts in the test.

As we were going to through the test prep questions, I realized that I am not good at explaining the responses or providing concrete examples to make her get the concept and most importantly, not very patient. I have no problem accepting my faults in life and hence, why I outsource stuff.

At the end of the day, she ended up at the school she was meant to be and we are both happy there. "Things happen for a reason."

But make no mistake, prep classes for the upper grade tests are in our future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment