Monday, November 30, 2009

A Second Home - Envious (Sometimes, Sometimes Not)


Years ago, I saw a story on Warren Buffet, the world's richest man. In case you don't know anything about Warren Buffet, he has lived in the same house for over 40 years and up until a few years ago drove a Cadillac for over 10 years. The reporter asked him if he had a yacht and his response, "Gosh, no. You know what having a yacht means, people.  You need people to manage the people who work the boat. I don't want to deal with that. Of course,  I don't mind going on my friend's yacht." Warren is right.

In New York City, life is all about square footage. For those families who live in small apartments (mind you these apartments may be small to them but compared to my apartment, there huuuge!), many are lucky to have a second home either in the country or at the beach.

I must admit that every so often, I am slightly envious even to the point of trying to talk friends into co-owning a house outside the city. Let's just say that idea was nixed given that most couples and friendships are ruined when money is involved.

Yes, while it's great to be able to have all that space, a back yard and it's quite and tranquil, I realized long ago that I don't have what it takes to run a second home.  First, having a second home, means people to help you. Seriously, the last thing I want to do on the weekends is garden or deal with water pumps or rake leaves so you need people. Second,  there is the commute to and fro. I am lazy and I don't like to drive except maybe to the Target.

So I am thrilled that I have wonderful friends who are gracious enough to invite us to their weekend homes.  They know this but I do appreciate the opportunity to be away from the city, commune with nature in an environment, sans firetrucks and noise but more importantly, I get to spend time with them in a relaxed environment. And for this single mom, the weekend away is truly a mini-vacation.

And just in case you are wondering, if I do win the lottery, I am buying a beach house.

0 comments:

Post a Comment