Thursday, December 31, 2009

New York City Single Mom - 2009 Accomplishments Recap

Here I am entering the new decade and new year the same way I started it, without a job. The big question is am I worse off than I was when the year started?

Emphatically and enthusiastically, NO! 

As Suze Orman said, when I told her my story about being laid off, "Congratulations!!" I can pretty much say she is the only person who has said that to me.

I can't say there haven't been some sad and "pity party" moments, all I feel like is watching morning tv after drop off but it doesn't last too long. Let's face it, I can't afford to (and I mean that.)

Let's step a back a moment and assess the year in which I did not work and all that I accomplished.

Started a blog - Would I have started a blog,  if I hadn't gotten laid off, probably not. If not for the blog, many  incredible opportunities and new friendships would have not occurred.

  • I have met so many incredible women over the last year who have served as an inspiration to me and so willing to give me advice and support in my blog endeavor. To all of them,  I say thanks. 
  • My readers - you are so wonderful and supportive. I love all your comments and advice when I needed it. 
  • Discovered so many other blogs out there, so many interesting people with interesting lives that I would not have found
  • All the events, my daughter and I were able to experience. I hate to quote Kate Gosselin here but as she has said, if it weren't for the show, they would have never had the money to go to all the places that the show sent them to and the same for the blog. 
  • Met tons of celebrities (Jillian Michaels, Suze Orman, Jaclyn Smith, Art Smith, Colin Cowie)
  • Garnered a job interview from my blog and an interview with CBS news (still waiting for the tape.)
Became a Social Media Expert 
  • Sure, I have years and years of marketing experience but financial services was not exactly cutting edge in that respect so because of my blog, I became an "expert" on Twitter, Facebook, online communities, HTML, SEO
Started seeing a Therapist
  • Some may not see this as an accomplishment or how I actually began seeing the therapist but sometimes you can't question things and move forward
  • Meeting with the therapist over the last few weeks has really helped me be a better parent (perfect parent, hell no, just better). Sometimes, when you are doing it alone, you just need an objective voice to tell you are doing a good job as a parent. Thanks doc. 
Reconnected with former colleagues in helping with my job search and my blog
  • I am amazed at the willingness of people who I have not worked in years to meet/talk to me and provide job advice and help in getting me interviews
  • Time to meet with former colleagues - this is good and bad. With a job and a child, I rarely have time to do lunch with people, so I have tried to reconnect with people I haven't seen in awhile
  • One of my former colleagues (also unemployed), offered to be my marketing director and has been great in getting PR attention and increasing my web presence. Thanks, Ellie
Time with my daughter
  • When I think back to when I was working, school drop off was filled with daily anxiety driven moments. Most times, I had to drop my daughter in the cafeteria so I could get to work on time. Everyday, my daughter's eyes were filled with tears, pleading with me to read to her like the other parents. Now, I can drop her off like the other parents. This will change one day but my daughter will be older and see that other parents don't drop their kids off, everyday. 
  • Time to spend with my daughter on her homework especially reinforcing her daily lessons
  • Time to take her to events during the week. 
Started my memoir about my adoption experience
  • Was able to take a writing class where I have 5 draft started. Now I just need to finish it and get it published. 
Become a contributor to NYCMomsblog.com, NYMetropolista.com and Examiner.com

  • Thanks to Carol Cain at NYMetropolista.com and Jill Asher at SiliconValleymomsblog.com 
Lost weight and lowered my blood pressure 
  • Enough said, I just need to lose more weight
So here's to the end of 2009, I can only say that 2010 is going to be a great year, it's has to be right.


4 comments:

Mimi N said...

Even though you didn't work, it sounds like you had a successful year. I think I'm most excited for the time you got to spend with your daughter! Enjoy it while you can. :) This time is fleeting, for sure!

Blessings on your coming year,
Mimi @ Woven by Words

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I came across your blog and want to congradulate you on your positive attributes during your year of unemployment.

I too am a single mom 34 years old with a 13 year old son and unemployed. My thing is I don't know what to do with myself or where to start. I really feel like just giving up and disappearing from the face of the earth.

I ask myself constantly why me god, why me.

I hope I have a better 2010 even though it has not started out this way.

Wish me luck.

NYCSingleMom said...

Dear Anonymous, Thanks for stopping by. Its tough I know being a single mom, and unemployed. I am sure you know that its tough trying to stay positive EVERY DAY and I would by lying if in the last year I havent had moments of frustration, fear and insecurity. Moments where I just feel the overwhelming pressure of being the sole breadwinner and my family not offering one ounce of support. But I know I have to push through it.

Dont give up. I know its a cliche but things do happen for a reason. When I started this blog, I did it for business reasons solely to learn about social media and found that I like it. I have met some many wonderful women that I would have never met in my previous life.

In my heart of hearts, everyone I know employed and unemployed is glad 2009 is over and is confident 2010 is new year and new decade.

Be positive is all I can say.

From NYC Single Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank You Linda

Post a Comment