Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New York City Single Mom Questions and Answers

NYC Single Mom Questions and Answer Session 
Over the past few months, I have been asked questions in the comments section. At some point soon, there will be a redesign of my site and I will be taking your questions on a regular basis. In the meantime, I am going to try to answer some recent questions that have been posed to me.


Question 1:
JM asked  "Are you still getting anything out of the therapy against your original goal? The original purpose of starting therapy was that your family wanted you to "parent better."

Response:
JM, great question. Your question came up  in response to Therapy Thursday - Nanny 911 stay in England, your services are not needed  post.  Yes, the original intent of starting therapy was to "better parent." As a single mom with no family around to help out, Dr. R. provides an objective resource to help me out during those moments of insecurity and that in turn leads to better parenting. During the emergency instructions given on flights, they tell you that in the event of an emergency take the mask first and then help your child." Same for therapy.

Question:
JM asked "How do you manage seeing friends, balancing job search talk and friendship talk without turning the interaction with friends into an attempt to solicit help in finding contacts or sharing information?"

Response:
Another good question.  It's definitely a fine balance. Everyone does the best they can.  I don't really expect them to ask me all the time how I am doing.  Let's face it everyone has their own problems, family etc and can be self centered.  Often times, I don't bring helping me up in conversation unless I really need feedback about things. I will be honest that my twitter/blog friends probably have a better gage on what I am feeling on a daily basis. It has served as an outlet for me.

















0 comments:

Post a Comment