Sunday, June 21, 2009

Word of the Week - "Funemployed"

Funemployed n  - 
People who have found they enjoy  being out of work. 

According to the Times of London article, we, Americans are enjoying our unemployment time to take pursuits we would not otherwise have time to do.  "The funemployed write blogs, issue regular updates on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter and devote entire websites to helpful advice and encouragement on how to make the most of the U.S. government's $475 weekly dole check." (FYI - dole = unemployment) 

From a personal perspective, I don't think I would include myself in the "funemployed" category but maybe "somewhat funemployed." Most of the people in the article are in their twenties/early thirties singles with no responsibilities.  I have a mortgage and  a child to support. 

Yes, I started a blog, have more time to Twitter, go to the gym and able to go to the movies but that's only because the job market is tough right now. If I had not started the blog, I think I would be really depressed or pessimistic about the market and that is not good for my psyche, my daughter or when I do interview. Hiring managers want to hire upbeat people not sad sacks. 

So more power to the funemployed. Enjoy the time off because the market is going to pick up and we will all go back to working 10-12 hour days. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment