Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Our children will never know...

A class parent forwarded this onto me. I don't usually read chain emails but this one was particularly timely as another dad today asked what an iPod touch was and I thought my friend you are in big trouble.

Of course, I feel old every time my daughter adds games to my iPhone and can figure out all the functions.




So just in case you weren't feeling old today. 



  • The people who are starting college this fall were born in 1991. I was living in Japan in 1991, teaching English. What were you doing in 1991? 
  • Their lifetime has always included AIDS.  I remember the day, Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive because my dad was still alive. 
  • The CD was introduced two years before they were born. And now, they will only to buy songs from the internet, in fact that's the only way I buy music now. 
  • They have always had cable. Except two of my friends with kids who don't have cable. 
  • Popcorn has always been microwaved. Have you ever made homemade popcorn with your kids? Every so often I see a popcorn maker in the store and think, "Well, maybe I will buy it, then common sense gets the better of me and I put it back. Too messy."
  • They never took a swim and thought about Jaws. Although now, there seems to be a shark attack every couple of years so maybe they have other reasons to be afraid of the water. 
  • They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter. Good lord, a couple of weeks ago, my daughter and I were in an antique store (yes, antique) and there it was a typewriter and my daughter asked me what it was and I tried to explain it to her and she just look perplexed and confused.  Please I remember going to business school in 1992 and having to go to the computer lab to get work done. 
I know there are tons more, provide your comments. 




3 comments:

Joy@TPMG said...

Isn't it scary how much technology has advanced since we were in school? I remember writing my first term paper on a typewriter. When I was in high school we didn't have the Internet. I didn't know what it was until college!

I am now following from MBC.
http://thepracticalmomguide.blogspot.com

Veronica Lee said...

Hi! Stopping by from the FFF Club!

Welcome !

parenting ad absurdum said...

I was starting college in 1991 - my goodness. Even my 23 year old step-sister had never seen a record player until recently... great post - I'll be back to see what others remember!

Post a Comment